Thursday, June 21, 2012

Nursery Projects: The Chair Rail

Well, as promised, here I am with pictures of our chair rail project we did for the nursery. First of all, can I just say that DIY projects (especially those on pinterest) are never as easy for me as people say they're going to be? They always number through a series of easy sounding steps and end with some sort of viola, you have a perfect, beautiful whatever! Well our chair rail isn't perfect, and not necessarily even beautiful, but we got through it and we are still happily married! :)


This is my 'before' picture. This is the original color and design of the room. Excuse the mess..


The first board is up! I'm not sure if our nails were too long or what, but we had some serious issues getting them nailed in all the way. We had to bend two over on their side and hammer them down sideways-frustrating.


The rail all glued/nailed in, wood puttied, sanded, and ready for paint!



The rail and bottom of the wall after the first coat of paint. We chose to paint the rail and wall the same color as the existing color on the baseboards.

After the second coat of paint-the chair rail is all finished and we are ready to paint the top half of the room. The only thing is... we're not positive about the color so next is a picture of a small sampling I tried of the color we think we like.


It's really hard to tell in this picture... but the sample we tried is a light aqua blue called "the harbor." I think I'm going to go with it, but I have the hardest time deciding! What do you think?

In the end the colors in the room will be light aqua blue, navy blue, tan, brown, and orange. I'm doing a project with Safari animals too, so I guess that's my theme. Next I'll show you the finished top wall color, we'll see if I want to go with this harbor color or keep looking...

3 comments:

  1. Shad showed me these pics tonight too. Looks so good! From what I can tell the blue you chose looks cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chair rail looks great! Seriously, you just made it look easy and beautiful too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going to be so cute, I like the blue.

    ReplyDelete