2000 U.S. Census Data and Recent Research Indicate the Following
• The number of unmarried partners living together increased by 72% since 1990 (mainly opposite sex
couples). The majority of couples now cohabit prior to forming a legal union. Research over the past
decade show that cohabiting couples are more likely to separate than married ones, even after they
legally marry, resulting in an increase in families headed by single mothers. Child and partner abuse
is also more likely in cohabiting couple relationships.
• Half of children in the U.S. live in homes that include only their two biological parents and any full
siblings. Research shows child abuse is more likely when children live with genetically unrelated
parents.
• Married couples with children now account for 24% of all U.S. households, down from 40% in 1970
(due to increases in single parenting, cohabitation, and an aging population with empty nester homes,
etc.).
• The median age for marriage has risen from 21 years for females and 23 years for males in 1970, to
25 and 27 years for females and males, respectively.
• The divorce rate of first marriages is running at about 50%. Of those who divorce, however, 75%
remarry, but are more likely than those in first-time marriages to divorce again.
• The percent of single-parent homes has increased from 13% to 31% since 1970.
• Birth rates in the U.S. and world wide are decreasing. Out-of-wedlock births have increased from
10.7% in 1970 to 33.5% today.
Three things about the [Proclamation] title are worth our careful reflection. First the subject: the family. Second, the audience, which is the whole world. And third, those proclaiming it are those we sustain as prophets, seers, and revelators. All this means that the family must be of tremendous importance to us, that whatever the proclamation says could help anyone in the world, and that the proclamation fits the Lord’s promise when he said, “Whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same”
(D&C 1:38).
Elder Henry B. Erying, Ensign, February 1998.
I just wanted to share something that I am passionate about and I have been spending my time studying for the past 5 years. My wish, as naive as it may seem, is that every child would be born to a married mother and father and could be raised in a healthy, safe, and loving environment. I hope that I can give at least that to my future children, and I'm so thankful for the amazing examples of my parents, parents-in-law, siblings, friends, and extended family.
The Family: A Proclamation to the World--Compilation of Supporting Quotes this link can take you to a huge list of amazing quotes about the family and the proclamation.
Brooke! I loved your post! Not boring in the least, sometimes I wish that was my major as well. I might be calling you for tips!
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT! Sorry I creep on your blog and we haven't really ever talked :) I wish Weber had that major, that's what I would have done, it sounds very awesome. I get the same type of questions for Health Promotion and Nutrition... "What are you going to do with that?" My reply... be a mother. :) Thanks for your good insite!
ReplyDeleteSo glad your will be the mother of my grandchildren - your awesome!
ReplyDeleteThanks guys! I was hoping this post wasn't just random.. I appreciate the support! And Alyssa I appreciate the creeping, it's nice to know people are actually reading this! And thanks Chris :)
ReplyDelete