I saw this picture on Pinterest a while back with a caption about buying these for only $1 at Hobby Lobby and then painting them whatever color you want. I thought this would be cute for the nursery, but when I clicked on the link I found that these frames actually aren't from Hobby Lobby at all, and they aren't a dollar. I decided to see if I could get creative though and recreate them in the colors I want for cheaper than I could buy frames, and it turned out successful!
The wood plaques I found at Hobby Lobby weren't as ornate as these and weren't $1, but they were still pretty cheap ranging from $2-$4 so I bought a few. I painted them with acrylic paints, which were only about 70 cents a bottle, and sanded the edges to give them an antiqued look. Hobby lobby did have frames that looked just like the ones above, and they were half off too, but they would still have been about seven dollars or more a frame and they didn't have the colors I wanted.
This is how mine turned out:
You may be thinking what Shad was when I was trying to explain this project to him, "But those aren't frames... they're just wooden plaques." True. So now what I plan to do is mod podge photos onto them. So yes, they aren't exactly frames that I can easily switch pictures in and out of, but they only cost me about $3 or less each and I'm thinking I can just remove the pictures or cover over them if I ever decide to put new pictures on them. Oh, I also had to hammer some hooks in the backs so they'd hang on the wall, but it was really simple and I just happened to have 4 already in my stash.
Overall this was a super simple and cheap project and was just the thing this wall needed! I now just need a mirror over the dresser and I will deem this room complete. We finally got the mirror that originally went with the dresser and I'm thinking it's a little too gaudy/grandma looking for my taste so I may end up using something else over the dresser. After that I'll post pictures of it all! It has been so much fun to decorate this room, glad I could share the process with everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment