Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Look What I Can Do

Last year all my decorating focus was on Tav's nursery. I had so much fun with it but was excited to move to some new areas of my house this year. The past few months I've (I should actually say WE've because Shad is very much part of the process) been focusing on the living room. So far we've gotten curtains,an entertainment center, and a few decorations.

My most recent project for the living room was making some throw pillows for the couch. I am so not good at putting things together that look good, so finding the right fabric has been a challenge. I've spent a long time searching for the right fabric for these pillows, and thought that having curtains might help, but.. it didn't really haha. I'm also only a beginner at the sewing machine, so this was a bit of an undertaking for me. 

Well, last Saturday I dragged Shad to the fabric store with me and we just hammered it out and made a decision! I'm not sure that the fabric we picked matches the curtains at all... but we both loved it, it does match the rest of the room, and I feel like I can make it work with other decoration elements. 

Here's what the pillows looked like that came with the couch (note that this is after I stole the poor thing's zipper and some fluff):

 Gross. 

And here's what the new ones look like. The red ones are just slip covers from Hobby Lobby and the tan ones are hand-me-downs. I made the blue/brown ones. A little better right?


I'm most proud of the zipper. I've never put in a zipper before and just followed an online tutorial. Not too bad for my first time right?


So perhaps with a small turquoisey throw pillow and some maroon and turquoise decorations I can tie this room together? Wish me luck! 


Oh and just a side note... I was watching Sean Tells All on The Bachelor last night (I am loving this season p.s.) and noticed that these pillows were on the couch! So there, my pillows are famous, even if they are homemade.

No comments:

Post a Comment