Saturday, February 23, 2013

Men's Shirt Refashion Fail

So... I don't have my own sewing machine, and I am not a very experienced seamstress, but I like to try my hand at sewing projects every now again just for fun. When I do, I usually borrow my sis-in-law's machine (thanks, Haven) and just punch out a bunch of projects all at once. (Hence all my sewing projects typically getting posted in clumps).

Shad was throwing out an old an old button-up work shirt and I've seen people upcycle those on pinterest, so I thought I'd give it a go. It was way farther beyond my skill level than I even realized in the beginning. They make it look super simple in the tutorials! Here's some of the pictures of how it all went down:


I traced a shirt I already had/changed it a little bit to be the size I wanted. Then cut up the sides and sewed. Then I cut off the sleeves, decided how skinny they needed to be, and sewed them onto the shirt. Then I cut off the collar and sewed a not very good neckline. Then I decided where I wanted the sleeves to hit, rolled them up, and tacked them in place. 

The end product really isn't terrible... it's just got some issues. The shoulder seams really would look better if they were a little higher (something I would have known if I was experienced). The front looks like maybe it's a bit too long (I actually like the back really long with it's duck tail). The neckline, as I mentioned before, looks pretty amateur. And the color is what I would call "work shirt blue." (When I tried this on for Shad he actually said, "It looks like you came here to clean the house" haha) I'm wondering if I switched out the pocket for a lace pocket if it would look more feminine? Or maybe it would be better if I used a white shirt instead of blue?

Anyway, I spent so much time sewing then ripping, measuring and remeasuring, cutting and recutting to get it to this point, I'm going to give it a rest for a while. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. You should post a picture of you wearing it! It looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I need to get a pic. I'll post one and get your opinion of it on.

    ReplyDelete