Monday, April 1, 2013

DIY Projects: Entry Table

So... I was browsing through pinterest one day and found a link to a blog where this cute mom made an entryway table. And I thought, I could do that.... Not sure why I thought I could! But I just went crazy one day and went for it! There was a little bit of trial and error, but honestly once I figured it out, it wasn't very hard. I swear. 

I started with this pile of wood:
So, I went to Lowes, not really sure what I was doing, with a printout of the measurements I had from the blog tutorial. It turns out most of them were right, but I ended up just having this very nice employee there help me measure according to the board I decided to use for the top of my table. Well, I got home, glued most of it together, and realized I'd had a miscommunication with the employee so my boards were the wrong length. I finally sat down and did the math (ugh, I hate the math), figured out what I really needed, and went back to Lowes to have my boards re-cut.

So, for the 2nd time, I glued everything together, and had Shad drill some screws into it to secure it, and ended up with this:
Once I got to this point, I puttied in where the screws were, waited for it to dry, and sanded it smooth. Then I sanded the top lightly and wiped the whole thing down. Then I used an old rag to wipe dark stain all over the table top. Once that dried, I taped it off and spray painted all the bottom with an off-white spray paint.... but I used an entire can and it basically did nothing. So I pulled out some leftover off-white wall paint that I had and did two coats of that everywhere with a brush. Once that dried, Shad and I sanded a bunch of the edges/corners of the table and used a q-tip to dab stain on the sanded areas to distress the table. Finally, we took some old handles that I had from a dresser re-do I did for Tavvin's nursery, painted them black with spray paint, and screwed them onto the 'drawers'.

After that process, the table looked like this:
I posted this as my final product on Instagram, but I actually went back over the top with a stain sealant to make it a bit shiny and lock the stain in better. 

Wa-la! An entry table! (Tutorial to follow)

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! You're more brave than I'll ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looks amazing!
    What are the exact measurements?

    ReplyDelete