Monday, September 14, 2015

Potty Training Tavvin

In July I decided to attempt to potty train Tavvin. I didn't have high hopes for it honestly. I thought we'd make a few days, cry a lot, and quit and try later. Luckily, I was wrong! We did both shed a few tears, but WAY less than I thought we would, and Tavvin actually loved having the extra responsibility and independence! I took Tav to Walmart one morning to pick out all his own underwear, treats, and prizes. Then for 3 solid days I hovered next to him like a hawk and we stayed at home. I asked him constantly if he had to go. At first he would go in his pants and we'd run to the potty after. But after a few times of that, he would start going then hurry and stop it and we'd run to the potty and get some in! Pretty soon he was capable of getting it all in the potty (capable, but not always willing). Within that week we made it out of the house successfully and unsuccessfully a few times. And now that we're mid-September he's pretty much got it down pat! He occasionally gets too busy and doesn't stop playing and will leak a little, but for the most part he's a pro. We haven't tackled nighttime though. At night he wears a pull-up. About 50% of the time he wakes up with it dry, but I think over the next 6 months he'll get better and better about staying dry all night and we'll eventually transition to undies all night. 

Actually the thing that terrified me most about potty training was pooping in the potty. I'd heard a lot of horror stories from other moms whose kids wouldn't poop on the potty for months and months! Tav pooped on the potty during potty training no problem his first time! The second time however... he had been holding it in for DAYS and finally hid in his room one day after nap time and we had a massive mess on our hands. I didn't know he was poopy so I went to change him and got it all over the floor, and him, and his clothes, and me!! :(. I was so upset by it though, I think it scared him into wanting to go on the potty from then on haha. I think he only had maybe one more poop accident after that and he has been awesome since then!! Yay!

I feel like potty training him made him mature and grow really quickly! He seriously loved the responsibility and independence and I've seen it rub off into other areas of his life. He has become a great helper to me with Harlow and around the house. He has even started helping without me even asking, which is amazing! I also feel like in the past few months his tantrums have mellowed out a bit (hooray!!!). Good job potty training Tav!! You are so awesome!!



HAHA!!^^^^ Life as a mom, these things hardly phase you anymore, sadly!

No comments:

Post a Comment