Wednesday, September 26th, I had my
39 week Dr. appointment. It went as it had the past three weeks, I
weighed a little more, blood pressure was normal, and I hadn't
progressed any further (was at a 1 and 70% effaced). This time however,
my doctor asked if I had had my membranes stripped yet? I didn't even
know what that meant. He told me it's something they sometimes do in the
last weeks to get labor progressing. It includes slightly detaching the
placenta from the uterine wall (I could be a little off on this, but
it's something like that) which releases hormones that start labor.
Sometimes it works really well and sometimes it does nothing. I went
home from the appointment feeling really crampy and strange, so I
figured, hey maybe this is getting things going!
Friday,
September 28th, and 1 a.m. I was woken up by some fairly intense pain. I
grabbed Shad's arm in my sleep and starting making some pain noises. I
think I really freaked him out because he jumped wide awake asking if I
was ok. I told him I thought I just had my first real contraction. Sure
enough a few minutes later it happened again. We decided we weren't
going to sleep well through this so we just woke up and started timing
them. By 4 o'clock they were coming every five minutes and lasting about
a minute each, which we had read means you should head to the hospital.
We called the women's center and asked what to do. They said, well,
it's up to you. (Up to us?? We've never done this before how should we
know?). They suggested taking a warm bath or getting up and walking
around. After a little while we were both getting freaked out so we
decided to go to the hospital and just see where I was at. They sent us
to a room, had me get into a gown, and said they would monitor me for an
hour to see if I made any progression. I was at a 1 1/2 when we arrived
and the same 3 hours later (ya the whole 1 hour thing didn't happen,
they didn't seem too worried about me). I was exhausted and hurting a
ton so they gave me a shot of phenergan (holy ouch!) and a lortab and
sent us home. My conractions died down enough that I was able to spend
basically the whole day sleeping.
Friday,
September 28th, evening sometime. We were both a tired mess, and I was
feeling more pain as my meds wore off so we just ran and got a pizza for
dinner. I was halfway through eating when the contractions started
coming back even stronger than they had the night before. We started
timing again. By ten o'clock I told Shad I didn't care if I had
progressed any further or not, I wanted to go to the hospital just to
get more meds. Seriously you guys, contractions are the worst pain I
have ever felt in my life. We drove to the women's center again, and
again they checked me into a room to monitor me for an hour. The
contractions at this point were bringing out oscar worth pain noises and
odd breathing methods. Shad would push down hard on my knees and I
would just clench every muscle as he watched the computer screen for
them to go down. My nurse felt so bad and assured me the doctor would
let me stay. I was somewhere around a 2-2 1/2 at this point. Sadly, the
doc said he still thought I was in very early labor and needed to go
home again. I begged for more medicine and got another shot of phenergan
with morphine, this time in the other cheek (Shad knew I was really in
pain at this point because I NEVER voluntarily get shots). They also
gave me an ambien saying it would help calm me down enough to sleep. Eh,
no. I spent the night dozing 2-3 minutes between excruciating
contractions. At least the ambien made me forget a lot of it?
Saturday,
September 29th, 5 a.m. ish. (I started getting hazy on the times
between the meds and the pain). Shad came downstairs to help me through
the rest of the morning (I had ordered him to go sleep in the bedroom,
no sense letting me keep him awake any longer!). I think he kept timing
the contractions, but I was over it. I was losing the ability to care
about much besides gripping whatever I could hold really tight through
every contraction. By about 8 a.m. I couldn't take it any more and Shad
could tell. He helped me get dressed and packed up and we slowly got to
the car. (I was having to stop and sit on whatever was close every 3
minutes to cry out in pain..). I just remember this drive to the
hospital was like what you see in movies. I was yelling for him to go
faster and run through the lights, half crying, half gasping for breath.
He mentioned at one point I sounded like the sad bride crying in Ever
After (he was right, it was kind of funny).
Saturday,
September 29th, around 10 a.m. This time they admitted me I could tell
they were finally taking me seriously. Good thing because I was about to
punch someone in the face if I was told to go home again. They checked
me into a room, and found me to be dilated to a 5. Finally some reward
for my agony! We called our families and told them baby is coming today.
They came to put an IV in to start some meds before the
anesthesiologist could make it in. This is the first time in my life
that I a needle was a welcome sight. (Well, and the two shots from the
previous visits). The nurse dug around in my wrist for a while and gave
me a nice bruise before handing me off to another nurse who finally got
some medicine flowing, thank goodness.
Saturday,
September 29th, about 12 p.m. Jared, my angel, my knight in shining
armor (of course besides Shad) came in with my epidural. The numbing
needles hardly felt like anything and I couldn't even feel the epidural
going in once he gave me those. All at once from my tushy down to my
toes I started tingling and going numb. Well, after it felt like a
firework went off in my right leg, strange.. Seriously though, after two
nights of muscle clenching contractions, this was a dream. I could have
straight up kissed the guy haha.
Saturday,
September 29th, about 2 p.m. My epidural was working amazingly, my mom
had arrived, I was finally comfortable and ready to get this baby boy
here. They finally gave me some pitocin because I had only gotten to a 6
at this point. They were hoping that because my contractions were so
intense, my body would go on it's own, but didn't they know it had taken
three days to get to this point? It took from 2 o'clock to about 7
o'clock to get to a ten. Somewhere in there my epidural started wearing
off on my left side and I had Jared re-juice me twice. Oh, Jared, what
would I have done without you?
Saturday,
September 29th, 7 ish. Times are getting real hazy now. My nurse Ashley
(she's a new one because they had shift change at 6) came in and said
it's time to start pushing. She, my mom, and Shad were my team for the
next hour and a half or so. Every time I had a contraction she would say
one, two, three, push hard hard hard! Then count to ten and we'd do
three of those in a row. By the time she said we were ready for the
doctor to come, I felt like I was completely at the end of my energy
limit. Finally the doctor showed up. We continued on with the same
pushing routine for a while longer. Eventually the doctor gave me an
ultimatum. He said I could continue to push for 40 or so minutes, and I
might not tear and the baby may come out on his own OR he could do an
episiotomy and it would only take another ten minutes. As much as it
freaked me out, I knew I definitely couldn't push 40 more minutes or
longer so I said go ahead and cut. He did and we continued to push.
Saturday,
September 29th, about 9 p.m. I was in the middle of a round of pushing
and Ashley and the doctor started telling me to keep going! I couldn't
believe I had it in me, but I pushed for what felt like a solid minute. I
wondered if anyone else was worried that my head was going to pop off.
The doctor started yelling at Ashley to get a bunch more people in the
room. Our families said they heard from the waiting room, 'Neo code' and
a bunch of nurses rushed in. I was confused, but couldn't do much
besides keep pushing. I opened my eyes (they'd been closed from
exertion) to see a nurse up on my bed shoving against my stomach with
all her body weight. I finally felt a pressure release as the baby
slipped out.
Saturday,
September 29th, 9:06 p.m. Tavvin Shad Webb was born. I could just see
him in the doctor's lap from my position. I heard his adorable little
cry immediately and loud! I watched Shad cut the cord and watched the
nurses wisk him over to the little station where they checked him out.
He weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz. and measured 20.5 inches long. I lay on the bed
while the doctor finished with me and watched everyone else rush to
Tavvin's side. I was overcome with so many emotions. Relief from 9 whole
months plus the last three days of waiting for him, and love for him. I
just lay there and stared at him getting all cleaned up while he cried
the cutest cry.
They
told me the reason for all the fuss at the end was that he had meconium
in his fluid and the cord was wrapped around his neck twice! I guess
they were also surprised at how big he was and he was having a hard time
getting out. Luckily everything turned out to be fine and he was
healthy. We decided we think he has my lips, ears, chin, and feet, and
Shad's head/hair. Everything else is hard to tell now because he's so
tiny. We just love him so much. When I met Shad, I was surprised that I
could love someone so much. Now I am amazed that I have TWO guys I love
so much!
.jpg)
.jpg)
_2.jpg)
Congrats Brooke! Welcome to the club of motherhood!
ReplyDeleteThank you! It's hard! haha
DeleteCongrats! You probably had back labor like I did. It was horrible! What would we do without epidurals? You seemed to handle the pain more demurely then I did. My husband still likes to remind me of how I would scream for him to speed up while simultaneously telling him to slow down for the little bumps in the road while on our way to the hospital. I also couldn't stand anyone touching me while in so much pain. My husband was at a loss on how to comfort me. You will make a wonderful mother I can tell how much you love Tavvin already. Good luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Well not that I would wish this upon anyone, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who had a difficult labor! Both my sisters-in-law were induced on their preferred date and had their babies within a few hours. One never even felt a contraction and only had to push for ten minutes! I wasn't expecting such and ordeal with mine haha
DeleteHow crazy! I had to have a nurse body slam my belly when Addie was born in order to get her out because she was so big! Glad he's here and that he's so ridiculously adorable!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! Brooke! A) I am so happy for you! B) he is so stinking adorable! And C) I am so sorry you had to experience so much pain! That really sounds awful! You are a trooper, And and isn't it worth it, despite how horrible it was!? Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteOh Brooke! Your experience sounds so much like mine! Laboring at home for days with no progress! So frustrating and PAINFUL!! So glad he is here and is as cute as can be! I hope you have a speedy recovery and that he sleeps better than my baby :) love you!
ReplyDelete