Sunday, January 29, 2012

Family Friday: Marriage

My computer is up and running again, not sure what was wrong with it. Maybe it was sick? haha. Anyway, lucky for you (;)) I get to share with you all my little knowledge about marriage. Ok, since I don't have much, I want to share with you some things I've read about it. Most of this comes from a lesson in my parenting class about building a strong family. Who doesn't want a strong family? I know I do.

Some valuable phrases from the lesson said:

Strong families are fundamental to the well-being of every individual as well as communities and nations; Strong families begin with strong marriages.

Marriage: So much promise, so much possibility, so much work, yet so valuable an investment. A lasting marriage proves more beneficial physically, mentally, and economically than exercise programs, medical treatments, therapy sessions or financial investments. (This isn't just a theory, this has been researched and tested my friends).

Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. -The Family: A Proclamation to the World.

Successful couples...understand one another, defend and respect each other, realize family life may be difficult and burdensome, but don't view divorce as a helpful option, refrain from imagining they've married the wrong person or have fallen out of love when something goes wrong, realize there may be unsolvable problems, successfully solve the solvable problems, and avoid narcissism, adultery, worldliness, and contempt for God-given values.

Marriage can be so incredibly wonderful, but it is no wonder that the divorce rate is about 50% because as we know, so much in the world is going against it! Not to mention how difficult it can be to make any two people's lives mesh for eternity. I at least understand how difficult it can be at times, but how rewarding it has been to say good morning and good night to my adorable husband every day. He has been the most wonderful roommate and partner and husband and I am grateful for him. I sincerely hope that everyone else who hasn't yet can find that special person who completes them and make it work for eternity, because it is awesome.

A quote comes to mind (sorry I can't remember the reference at the moment), Choose your love and love your choice. It was a fun time being able to date and finally find Shad, but now I'm just enjoying loving my choice and working on making it work every day. :)

^Bountiful Temple^
I'll leave you with a cute quote my mother-in-law shared with me about temple marriage.
"If this isn't your castle, I'm not your princess."

I just wish for everyone to find the happiness and strength that comes to families through good, healthy marriages.

No comments:

Post a Comment