Monday, January 30, 2012

New Job

So, I did a post back in October that I got a job with Picture Perfect Medspa and Salon. I was super excited because it has been my goal for a long time to fulfill my dream of working as a stylist at a nice salon. I pushed myself in cosmo school doing 50 hour weeks for the last 4 months and trying so hard to learn as much as I could. (Those of you shaking your heads saying cosmetology school is for dumb people or is a copout, try lasting one day, it was hard). Anyway, it seemed that Picture Perfect was going to be a great opportunity to build a clientele and do what I love to do.

After two months with less clients than I have fingers on one hand, I started to get pretty discouraged. That's not all though, I was faced with a boss who was for some reason determined to thwart my love for cosmetology and there is much more I could say about him, but will hold my angry tongue. After a lot of thought (and a work situation where I was belittled and demeaned just for working extremely hard) I decided it was in my best interest to quit Picture Perfect and look elsewhere.

If I had known before starting hair school that 99% of the female population (over exaggeration) in Utah County do hair, I probably would have reconsidered it, but I didn't know. It turns out that it is really hard to make any sort of decent living starting out doing hair. Most salons I looked into do Booth Rent-you buy all of your supplies, pay rent for your space, and are responsible for building and maintaining any and all clientele. This isn't really a viable option for someone who has no established clientele and is looking to make money, not go into debt. The other option salons give is commission-they buy all your supplies and help out with building your clientele, and share a percentage of everything you make. This is obviously the more realistic option for a new stylist.

The catch is that there is an overload of new stylists in my area and few salons that hire commission stylists. Trust me, I've searched high and low!

This all leads up to my final announcement. I finally got a job and I absolutely love it (well I only started today, but when it feels right it feels right!). The third option a stylist has is hourly, which means that whether you have clients or not, you still get paid. The best option, I decided, for a new home owner (aka poor)! I work at Great Clips in Lehi. I admit, this wasn't my dream, but after going through what I've gone through to get here, I know that there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be.

So there you go, that's the soap opera of my job searching for the last five months and the announcement of my new job. I'm happy to have it and excited not to be a stay at home housewife anymore(note that this is different from a stay at home mom, which I wouldn't mind being one day)!

Thanks to my new boss Sharee at Great Clips for hiring me, woohoo for a great job!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Brooke! Im glad you found a place that is right for you. I had the same bad experience in a salon and I know how hard it can be! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's actually kind of nice to know I'm not the only one who had salon struggles :/

    ReplyDelete