Sunday, January 15, 2012

Family.. Sunday?

Ok, so I had a thought this week as I was studying for my Parenting and Child Guidance class and reading through amazing quote after amazing quote, I should do a weekly post called 'Family Friday' about something I've learned in my major. But... Friday came and went and I forgot, so here I am posting it on Sunday instead.

My latest lesson in my class was about parenting children with exceptionalities. It was about the difficulties and rewards that come with being the parent of a child with disabilities. Whenever I daydream about my future children... I'm just going to admit it, I think of very surface things like how smart or beautiful I hope they are! This lesson really brought me back down to Earth and gave me a much better perspective. My eyes were opened to the struggles parents of children with disabilities go through on a daily basis. Some examples of disabilities given in the lesson were mental retardation, physical disabilities, communicative disorders, emotional/behavioral disorders, hearing impairments, visual impairments, and learning disabilities. How difficult to have not only the stress of medical bills or your child's life being in danger, but also to know that they won't be able to live the type of life that you had probably hoped they could.

After getting through the lesson I learned something very valuable. People with disabilities are God's sacred angels. I was humbled when I realized how much they can teach us. In the ward I grew up in, there were two girls with disabilities that affected my life so deeply for the better, and I realized how important these people are in the world. In my lesson parents told stories of frustration, but the frustration turns into triumph when they learn more patience, more love, more humility than they ever hoped they could.

I talk about this from the standpoint of someone who has limited experience with people who have disabilities. However, maybe that's why it affected me so much. It helps me realize that people, not things, are most important in this life. I hope that I can more fully love and understand others than I do now!

Elder W. Craig Zwick of the quorum of the seventy (and the parent of a child with mental disabilities) said this: "During His ministry, the Savior, with great compassion, saw beyond the imperfections of body and mind and looked upon the heart. Our discipleship includes the sacred responsibility to follow His example of reaching out and loving those with disabilities. Valiant disciples seek meaningful ways to stretch their souls in service and love to others."

So there you go, my 'Family Friday' thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment