Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chia Seeds

I would say that I grew up with parents who are more or less health freaks. Our house never had hot dogs, sausage, ground beef, pre-packaged processed meats, sugary cereals, poptarts, white bread or normal chips or crackers-among a lot of other less healthy foods. Some interesting things you would find at our house are tofu, lentils, all kinds of beans, veggies in all forms, smoothies including items like wheat germ, flax seed, oatmeal, and carrots, among other things.. I think my friends thought I was super weird when I was little because I would raid their pantries for poptarts and cinnamon toast crunch. I also would never eat hot dogs or ham sandwiches if my friend's parents made them for lunch-my parents taught me to like what they like!

I appreciate all that healthy eating now, because I've gained an appreciation for it! Don't get me wrong, I still indulge myself as you have seen in my many recipe posts, but overall I love eating healthy! Which leads me to my latest craze... chia seeds. Yes, you've probably only heard of them on those old plant commercials chanting: cha cha cha chia! Like this adorable/creepy chia pet cat.
Apparently those little seeds are packed with all kinds of good stuff for you, and I plan to take advantage of this new health craze. The seeds look like this picture below, and I bought them in this Nutiva bag. They come in black or white, but apparently the color makes no difference in nutritional quality.


I've done gone and jumped on the chia seed bandwagon. Join me. 

Ways to use chia seeds every day here. Some chia seed health benefits are here. A delicious looking breakfast recipe I found on Pinterest that I can use them in is here. Happy healthy eating!



1 comment:

  1. I do love their healthy eating habits :) But I agree we all need to indulge sometimes. I think I could use some chia seeds in my diet. I need to start sneaking Troy some too for all his aches and pains and bad health. Thanks for the tip!
    ps - I just found Mia dipping toilet paper in the toilet and eating it while I was busy reading this post. DISGUSTING! See what you have to look forward to :)

    ReplyDelete