Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Swimming

In these last months of pregnancy, one thing that's hurting me the most is my back. The lower right side of my back hurts almost all of the time, and if I do basically anything physical at all, it hurts even more. This has led me to get real creative at the gym. I'm moving to last resorts here, and that means swimming. It's not that I don't like swimming-I actually love it-but I usually avoid it because I don't like chlorine water on my skin and hair, and it's a big step out of my workout comfort zone.

I was having a lot of anxiety about swimming at the gym. I've just never done it before and I don't like doing things I'm not comfortable with-I know, I'm super weird. After timidly walking into the pool area and easing into the water (I actually stumbled on the steps a little haha), I was very pleasantly overwhelmed with a feeling of weightlessness! Angels were singing AHHHHH! It was like this.
 or this
Then I'm on this little high because I feel skinny, fit and wonderful, plus my back isn't hurting too bad! Aand I get out of the pool and feel like this... I think I actually looked like this as well, it was rough.
Let's just say I'm not one of those people who just loves being pregnant. This isn't really a complaint... I just prefer feeling generally mobile and in less pain most of the time. I am certainly grateful for a fairly healthy body and a healthy baby on the way! And I hope you laugh when I tell you I'm pretty excited to try out one of those water aerobics classes with all the old ladies!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. I'm coming to water aerobics with you. haha. this is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, this makes me so sad because I know exactly how you feel. We went to Seven Peaks last night and I was feeling pretty good... until I got out of the water. My belly feels like it weighs a thousand pounds.
    Swimming is such a great option though. I LOVE swimming, but the gym I use doesn't have one. So sad.
    You should look in to getting a massage. It doesn't solve the problem, but it sure makes me feel relaxed. Also, you could try a warm bath with epsom salt (I am really jealous of your tub, I barely fit in mine anymore). I hope you feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete